Getting COVID Vaccine

Getting THE vaccine became a hammer-and-tongs preoccupation! If I could get any of the COVID vaccines, maybe someday I would be able to move about the world freely. I have so wanted to find a way to return to some measure of normalcy. In that, I am no different from everyone in the world. It is not usual for the entire world to be struggling at the same time with a problem of this significance. No country has been spared and we all likely know someone who has had COVID, and some know those who have perished from this virus.

My two cousins, both in assisted living settings, had COVID early in the epidemic and recovered but not without extended life-changing challenges, including walking and cognitive functioning. Both of my daughters, exposed by co-workers, developed COVID. One recovered from a mild case; one is recovering but with loss of taste and smell.

The news, confusing and seemingly irrelevant most of the times, offered many options for vaccination, but when I visited the website or contacted the health department, no appointments were available. All these obstacles considered, my daughter-in-law valiantly persisted and successfully got appointments for us. There was a mega-site for vaccination for Pfzier with shot one was January 30 and shot two on February 10. The shots were administered at the Forum.

It seemed like a well-run ride at Disneyland. Lanes wound back and forth with human directors along the way. I was overwhelmed with the ease of the process. From pull in time to exit time was about 25 minutes, including the 15 minutes (timed to the second) post-shot wait time.

The Process: Name and ID were checked on entry. Next temperature check. Next verification of appointment with their iPad. Then, ID and prior vaccination card (the first shot) were checked. Then questions about health conditions. Then pull up again and another ID check and appointment verification and handover of vaccination card. Then wipe and shot in the arm. We were told to pull into a wait line for 15 minutes. Medical personnel came by twice to check on us, and one-second after our time was up, we were told we could leave.

The first shot resulted in no reactions. Shot two was a little harder for me. My arm hurt as the shot was injected and was very sore for days 1 and 2. I was fatigued on day 2 and achy with some digestive issues. Day 3, I am almost completely fine.

I am giddy with relief. I know that I am still to mask. I am happy I can expect immunity within a couple of weeks.

I look forward to being totally free…..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: